We need sleep, along with food, water and air, to survive. Sleep is a vital indicator of overall health and well being.
If you are between 18 and 64, sleep range needed is 7-9 hours.
What happens to our body when we sleep?
Sleep is the time when the body can undergo repair and detoxification. Poor sleep patterns are linked to poor health. Sleep has a profound effect on our mental, emotional and physical well being.
Sleep is one of the best anti-aging remedy. During sleep we generate melatonin, a powerful antioxidant that makes us:
- sleep longer
- strengthens the immune system
- protects against cancer
- prevents osteoporosis and heart disease
Because melatonin production decrease after the age of 30, we must take care and:
- eat a balanced diet
- daylight exposure – see the sun
- get enough sleep (7-9 hours/day)
- avoid stress, don’t drink alcohol and coffee and don’t smoke
Please leave a comment on what other subjects should we further discussed.